Monday, March 7, 2022

Dynamic Timelines in OSR Play

I personally have always struggled with time management in long term games, with there being a lack of well made tools except for just using an almanac the allure of "Gygaxian Verisimilitude" seemed so far out of reach for me until I gave Grimjim's Actual Fucking Monsters a look. In AFM (p. 63) Grim presents a procedure for consequences where you jot down anything that happens in play that may lead to a future consequence and then assign a die to it that represents the maximum amount of time it would take for the consequence to come into effect. After every *ambiguous* time interval you roll the assigned die for every listed consequence and on a roll of 1 it happens, if it's anything but a 1 you lower the consequence's die type for the next time you make a check. I adapt this to my games simply by checking for consequences weekly and using zochi dice (DCC Fucks!) for more overarching plots in my world.


My main reason for using this procedure over anything else is how easy it is to set up and keep tidy. The way I have it set up is that I have all the consequences listed in a text document or on a piece of paper sorted by scale and region, this way I don't have to constantly roll for non-relevant parts of the world (Even though I still do) making the procedure non-encumbering while still making the world feel alive. When starting a new campaign I would write down a couple of things going on in the world on each scale and put them on my list making sure that even early on the players can feel the consequences of the higher powers in play even if they're not directly interacting with them. 
 This Brings me to another of the method's strengths which is how it really makes the world feel dynamic and lived in by the sheer unpredictability, forcing both GM and players to constantly be on their toes. It rewards players who allow themselves to be fully brought into the world and keep track of NPCs and factions by allowing them to involve themselves or even intercept their plans, however at the same time the 'consequences' are actually just timers and push players to act and deal with the repercussion of their actions. 
 It is important to consider that this way of going about things is specifically good at abstracting and keeping track of ongoing events in the world, if your goal is to plan out specific events and dates then your best choice obviously is an almanac or some other timeline planing tool. The methods works especially well for my style of game running since I like worlds to come into their own and practically be alive but if I feel like something in the world should happen then hell I'll just make it happen. I will say though that fully relying on timer-lists (which is what this method really is) will require you properly organize the list so that rolling on them doesn't feel like a hassle. 


Like what I've stated above, "dynamic timelines" shine the brightest in long-term sandbox play where the player's actions have the highest potential of impacting the world. I have found that using it in combination with one-to-one time have introduced a real sense of urgency in my games, time has become something that be rationed out since not doing so may lead them to miss situational opportunities or even worse, not being there to mitigate a consequence of their actions. Information gathering, spies, contacts and scouting all become way more important when keeping tabs on happenings in the world rewards you with the opportunity to intercept or situations that would be easily missed without infomation networks set up.
 It's probably impossible for me to convey the cool effects proper time management can have on your games further since it's not really that deep. I feel like making time matter can really be cumbersome which is why I appreciate the method in AFM since it abstracts without removing any depth to my knowledge.
 Anyways, Peace




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Rufus' Hemfärd" Expiditionsrapport från Sista Solen 16/2 | AD&D 1e BTB

 Dag 36 i denna mytomspunna värld och vi beger oss tidigt iväg för att claima våra grottor som förhoppningsvis ska ha någon form av malm i s...